Responsible for day-to-day operations of the franchise dealership and primary contact with the MVDB.
Two Types of Dealer-Operators
There are (2) types of dealer-operators, Franchise and Independent. Both Dealer-Operators are similar in job duties and functional roles. What differentiates between Franchise and Independent DO’s is the oversight and regulatory requirements.
Franchisers require a substantial amount of knowledge and experience for franchise dealership operators. While in 2011, the independent Dealer-Operator Re-certification Program was established as a new required continuing education program administered by the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board. You can find out more details on the Independent Dealer-Operator Re-certification Program.
DMV Service Centers require a $50 Test Fee.
What to Bring?
- Proper Identification (Valid Drivers License, Passport)
- $50 payment for testing fee
How to Become a Franchise Dealer-Operator
The first step to becoming a Franchise Dealer-Operator is starting right here...
Take the Franchise Dealer-Operator Qualification Test
- Take the Dealer-Operator Practice Quiz and the Salesperson Test Quiz Here
- Download and use the Salesperson Study Guide (MVDB 35), also located in our Forms and Publications section.
- Download and use the Dealer-Operator Study Guide (MVDB 34), also located in our Forms and Publications section.
- Complete the MVDB 57 (Dealer-Operator/Salesperson Qualification Test Application) .
- If you DO NOT PASS the examination test, you can retake the test the same day or another day. You must pay the $50 fee each time you retake the test.
After Passing the Franchise Dealer-Operator Exam
Upon passing the examination, you are a qualified Franchise Dealer-Operator. To finalize your qualification, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete and sign the MVDB 61 Application for Salesperson license.
- Have a representative of the dealership where you will be employed sign the bottom of the MVDB 61 for authorization.
- Submit the appropriate fee of $30 for the salesperson license and $10 for the Criminal History Background Check.
- Submit the original forms to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board with the payments for the applicable fees.