Responsible for day-to-day operations of the independent dealership and primary contact with the MVDB.
Two Types of Dealer-Operators
There are (2) types of dealer-operators, Franchise and Independent. Both Dealer-Operators are similar in job duties and functional roles. What differentiates between Franchise and Independent DO’s is the oversight and regulatory requirements.
Franchisers require a substantial amount of knowledge and experience for franchise dealership operators. While in 2011, the independent Dealer-Operator Re-certification Program was established as a new required continuing education program administered by the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board. You can find out more details on the Independent Dealer-Operator Re-certification Program.
REGISTERYou can register for the two-day Independent Dealer-Operator course given at Virginia Community Colleges throughout the year.
Becoming an Independent Dealer Operator
The first step to becoming an Independent Dealer-Operator is starting right here...
Register for the 2-day Independent Dealer-Operator Course
The course is taught by the Virginia Independent Dealers Association (VIADA). There is a fee for this course, and it is recommended to register early to avoid closed/full classes and late registration fees.
You can find more on schedules , locations and fees on our Training Course Listing page.
The 2-day course is a comprehensive course covering the primary responsibilities of an Independent Dealer-Operator, including recent changes in motor vehicle laws and regulations, ending with an administered final exam. In order to successfully pass the course you must pass the in-class final examination. If you pass the course, you can proceed to complete the final requirement by taking and passing the Independent Dealer-Operator examination at any DMV customer service center.
It is recommended that you take the Independent Dealer-Operator examination soon after completing the two-day course.
Your On Your Way...
Next Step is Taking the Independent Dealer-Operator Exam at DMV
After passing the 2-day Independent Dealer-Operator study course, you are now able to move on to taking the Independent Dealer-Operator Examination at any DMV Customer Service Center.
- Download and use the Salesperson Study Guide (MVDB 35), also located in our Forms and Publications section.
- Download and use the Dealer-Operator Study Guide (MVDB 34), also located in our Forms and Publications section.
- Take the Dealer-Operator Practice Quiz and the Salesperson Test Quiz Here
- Complete the MVDB 57 (Dealer-Operator/Salesperson Qualification Test Application).
What to Bring?
- Proper Identification (Valid Drivers License, Passport)
- $50 payment for testing fee
After Passing the Independent Dealer-Operator Exam
Upon passing the examination, you are a qualified Independent Dealer-Operator Exam. To finalize your qualification, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete and sign the MVDB 61 Application for Salesperson license.
- Have a representative of the dealership where you will be employed sign the bottom of the MVDB 61 for authorization.
- Submit the appropriate fee of $30 for the salesperson license and $10 for the Criminal History Background Check.
NOTE: some dealerships will conduct the Criminal Background Check for you instead of submitting the MVDB 61 with the $10 fee directly to the Board. Please check with the dealership you are planning to work for.
- Submit the original forms to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board with the payments for the applicable fees.
Independent Dealer-Operator Re-certification Requirement
Independent Dealer-Operators are required every 36 months to complete a recertification on-line course or test.
- For more information, see Independent Dealer-Operator Recertification Program.